Here’s something to take Dad to see this weekend for Father’s Day: Steam Engine #104. This engine has some history at the Black Hills Central Railroad. On May 14, 2001, it was the first to handle a four-car train from Hill City to Keystone in over 28 years after repairs on the track and restoration of the engine were complete, thanks to new ownership under Bob and Jo Anna Warder.
It is a 2-6-2T tank engine that was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1926 for the Silver Falls Timber Company in Oregon and The Peninsula Terminal Railroads in Portland, OR. The Black Hills Central Railroad acquired #104 and its twin #103 (built in 1922) in 1965. Engine #104 having been in continuous service over the years, while #103 is currently in storage awaiting its restoration.
More on the rolling stock at the 1880 Train and the history of the operation may be found in the 1880 Train Guide Book.