Our Diesel Locomotive #1 is a 1940-vintage Whitcomb diesel locomotive. This engine was built for the Department of Defense and was operated in Washington State during World War II. It was then purchased for switching at the Black Hills Power and Light coal-fired generating plant near Lead, SD. The # 1 was acquired in 1983 and is used for switching duties on the Black Hills Central Railroad.
Learn more about all of our train cars in the 1880 Train Guide Book! It’s available online and at our gift shops in Hill City and Keystone.